Pages

Ads 468x60px

Featured Posts

Monday 14 December 2015

Brian Stepanek finds 'Home' voicing two characters in new DreamWorks film

Brian Stepanek voices multiple characters in the new DreamWorks Animation film 'Home.'
Brian Stepanek voices multiple characters in the new DreamWorks Animation film 'Home.'
Rich Marchewka Photography/Courtesy of Persona PR
If you went to see DreamWorks Animation's new film Home this past weekend, you heard the voice of actor Brian Stepanek. Brian lends his pipes to not one, but two characters in the film that stars Rihanna and Jim Parsons as a girl and the alien she befriends. We caught up with him on Tuesday to learn a bit more about voice acting in the latest family movie.

Brian's work on Home began when he was brought on to provide the scratch tracks for the film's villain, portrayed by Steve Martin. For those of you who don't speak animation, "Scratch track means temporary voices," Brian explained. "The directors bring in actors to voice characters early on in the process so that they can lay those voices over storyboards and get a feel for how the movie is playing out in a macro sense (the overall direction of the story) and in a micro sense (how are these characters relating to one another)."

He so impressed the creative team that they kept him on to handle not one, but two supporting characters, one of which they actually named Brian. Had he ever had a character named after him before. "It was the first time," he laughed. "I don’t think the name is even used in the film, but it is in the written script. The writers and director were trying to find a funny, mundane human name for this alien that kept popping up with one-liners. I don’t know how they came up with Brian!"

Home represents another example of big-name talent that you wouldn't expect to hear migrating over to the voice acting world, with Rihanna, Parsons and Jennifer Lopez toplining its cast. What's it like for a voice actor like Brian to see these major names from music and TV also working in the recording booth?

"There are people out here in Los Angeles that are truly amazing voice actors, that can do anything in terms of characters and impressions. Any time I’m in the booth with them, I am in awe of how fantastic they are. I would like to see these talented people work as much as possible," he reflected, "but I understand the audience that these huge names bring to the theater. Not to mention Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez and Jim Parsons are wonderful in this film. Oh, and that 'Steve' guy," he joked.

Who are some of those aforementioned amazing voice actors in his book?

"Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, Jeff Bennett, Maurice LaMarche…these are just a few. And occasionally I get to be in the same booth with them," Brian told us. "I love watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels with my ten-year-old son. I would have never left the house if those were on when I was a kid."

He is one of the many voice actors who also does live-action work, such as appearing in the new Nickelodeon comedy series Nicky, Ricky, Dicky & Dawn, and his recurring role on Disney Channel's The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Do people ever connect the dots that the same guy they're seeing on screen is the one they just heard in a movie, or vice versa?

"So far, I get recognized more for The Suite Life than anything else," he said. "I think kids (now adults) are pleasantly surprised when I show up in other places like Transformers or Mom or Two and A Half Men. Nicky, Ricky, Dicky and Dawn is just getting started so it’ll be a while before that’s what I’m recognized for. I am very excited that I’m now getting recognized by two generations of kids, especially since younger kids are not only watching NRDD, but also watching The Suite Life on Netflix."

His favorite role of all time is one you probably wouldn't expect.

"Years ago back in Chicago, I played Bill Snibson in a musical called Me and My Girl. I won a Jeff Award for it and had a blast," Brian reflected. "When you get to perform a show eight times a week for ten weeks, you really fall into a groove and start to let loose. Film and TV are so much faster in terms of turnaround that I don’t often feel like I am really able to fall in to a character. Touring with The Second City out of Chicago was fun too."

"I’m in a short film called Simon Says that is making the rounds in the festival circuit right now. I’m very proud of it," he continued. "I play two characters, one of which is a pretty despicable bad guy. The film follows a lonely man, as well as the hateful voice in his head that tells him he 'can’t.' I play both characters. Shooting NRDD is keeping me pretty busy otherwise."

Is there an animated character he'd want to step behind the microphone for someday?

"I auditioned once for the voice of Jiminy Cricket. I didn’t book it but would love to play that little guy," Brian enthused. "Ironically, he’s the good voice in your head…I’ve already played the bad voice!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates